Orthodontic treatment is no longer only for children and teens. Adults can get a healthy, beautiful smile faster and more discreetly than ever before.
ORTHODONTIC TREATMENT FOR ADULTS
Orthodontic treatment is no longer just for teens. In fact, the American Association of Orthodontists states that one in five orthodontic patients is over the age of 21. Many adults are choosing to receive treatment because they understand the importance of maintaining their health, and they want to feel better about their appearance. Adults everywhere are taking advantage of the opportunity to receive orthodontic care, and now you can too.
COMMON REASONS WHY ADULTS ARE CONSIDERING ORTHODONTIC TREATMENT:
- A bad bite or malocclusion, causing teeth to fit together incorrectly
- Teeth are crowded or spaced apart, possibly leading to tooth decay or gum disease
- Abnormal jaw pain or pressure that is caused by crooked teeth
- Desire for a healthier mouth and a more confident smile
TREATMENT OPTIONS FOR ADULTS
For many adults, the thought of having metal braces is enough to discourage them from receiving treatment. However, today’s orthodontic treatment options offer a variety of braces and appliances that are comfortable, aesthetic, and customized to meet your needs. Types of braces include:
- Clear braces
- Ceramic braces
- Self-ligating braces
- Lingual (behind the tooth) braces
- Invisible braces
- Traditional metal braces
THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN ADULT ORTHODONTICS AND ORTHODONTICS FOR CHILDREN AND TEENS:
The main difference between treating adults and children or teens is that the jawbones of younger patients are still developing. For adults, these bones have stopped growing, which may make orthognathic surgery possible to align the jawbones. Other differences include:
- Gum or bone loss (periodontal disease) — Adults are more likely than children to experience gum recession or even bone loss due to gingivitis or advanced periodontal disease. Patients with straighter teeth are less likely to get gum disease.
- Worn or missing teeth — Over time teeth can become worn down and shift into different positions that can only be corrected with orthodontic care. Missing teeth can cause other teeth to shift and tilt, creating a bad bite and increasing the possibility of gum disease.
- Incomplete orthodontic treatment as a teen — Many adults received some orthodontic treatment as a child or teen, but never completed their treatment. As an adult, they choose to complete their orthodontic treatment to achieve the healthy, beautiful smile they always wanted.
Our practice also recognizes that adults and children have different needs, and require a different level of attention and care. We will work with you to ensure that you receive the most appropriate treatments, and that your needs are met with understanding and respect from us.
WHY SHOULD YOU CONSIDER ORTHODONTIC TREATMENT?
- Straight teeth are healthy teeth — Teeth that are properly aligned are easier to keep clean with flossing and brushing, and may help prevent other health problems.
- A beautiful, straight smile builds confidence — Orthodontic treatment can help boost your self-confidence, giving you a better quality of life and the freedom to smile without holding back!
- Mouths left untreated can get worse — Not receiving orthodontic treatment when it’s needed can create long-term health issues costing you more in the end.
To learn more about the benefits of adult orthodontics, please contact our practice to schedule an appointment. We understand that you have a busy schedule, and we will work with you to make sure each office visit is as convenient as possible.
Adult orthodontic treatment in Ann Arbor refers to all the treatment considerations made when a patient has reached adulthood, and their bone growth has stopped. Adults require a different approach to orthodontics than teenagers or younger kids. Fortunately, there’s no age limit to start orthodontic treatment.
Looking for the best Ann Arbor adult orthodontic treatment may be a result of you noticing your teeth have shifted with time. It’s not uncommon that adults notice their teeth shifting positions as time goes on. Furthermore, some patients who were never able to start treatment in their teenage years might finally be ready to get the smile of their dreams.
As a general rule, you might have to go back for a review with your adult orthodontist every 4 – 8 weeks; however, please note that every patient’s conditions are unique, and how often you come back to the office will vary depending on the treatment of your choice, orthodontic emergencies, and more.
You can expect your treatment to last anywhere from 18 months to 2 years. Adults don’t necessarily have to spend longer with their braces on, but the orthodontist has to be more conservative with their approach because the patient’s bone structures are not as malleable as with teenagers.
Your first visit with the best orthodontist for adults here in Ann Arbor will focus on getting to know what you want from the treatment and understanding better your dental health situation. We’ll take some pictures and x-rays to know what approach fits you better.
You’ll be glad to know that your first consultation with us is complimentary. We also work with major insurance providers to make the final treatment cost as affordable as possible for our patients. And you should definitely get in contact with our office in Ann Arbor to know more about available payment plans.
The main difference that makes orthodontic treatment for adults unique is that the patient’s bones are no longer growing and require unique considerations to move them safely into a new position.